Here’s how they stack up. What kind of apple are you?
1. Braeburn: All purpose. Good choice for baking. Doesn’t brown quickly when cut, making it an excellent choice for salads.
2. Cortland: Excellent for eating, salads, sauces, pies, baking. Freezes well.
3. Fuji: Excellent for fresh eating and salads, good for sauce and cooking. Stores well.
4. Gala: Excellent for fresh eating and salads. Just the right size to pack in a pocket or handbag. Cooking destroys both its aroma and texture.
5. Ginger Gold: Fabulous for fresh eating. Makes a wonderful pie, and is excellent for snacking and salads. Retains its crisp, white flesh when sliced.
6.Golden Delicious: All purpose. Good to use in pies and baking. Freezes well.
7. Red Delicious: Best for snacking and salads. Poor for baking.
8. Granny Smith: All purpose. Excellent for salads, fresh eating, baking.
9. Honeycrisp: All purpose. Known for its "explosively" crisp texture. A fresh eating sensation blending a pleasing, sweet and slightly tart flavor with incredible juiciness.
10. Jonathan: Good either raw or cooked. Makes a terrific pie and can be blended with other apples for a robust sauce.
11. Jonagold: Excellent for fresh eating, salads, sauces, baking. Good for use in pies and freezing.
12. McIntosh: All purpose. Excellent for eating fresh, sauces, salads, and pies.
13. Pacific Rose: Excellent for eating out of hand or in salads. Good for storing.
14. Paula Red: All purpose. Good for fresh eating, pies, and sauce.
15. Wealthy: Good for pies, cakes, sauces, juice and cider.
I’m a Red Delicious and my husband, Len, is a McIntosh. It describes us to a "T." He’s all purpose, flexible. You can take him anywhere. Best take me as I am, because I can’t take the heat!