Need a little somethin’ to liven up your Wednesday?
Check out this platter of sparkly goodness:
1. Don’t forget to check in every day at The Brown Bookshelf for their 28-Days Later Black History Month Celebration. All during February they are showcasing the best in picture books, middle grade and young adult novels written and illustrated by African Americans. I’ve really been enjoying meeting some very talented new-to-me book people, like Christian Robinson and Glenda Armand, whose story, Love Twelve Miles Long, won the Lee & Low New Voices Award (Colin Bootman did a beautiful job of illustrating it)!
* * *
2. Speaking of Lee & Low, they are having their annual Black History Month Book Giveaway! Just click through to their blog and leave a couplet in the comments for a chance to win one of 3 sets of 3 books! You can earn additional entries by liking Lee & Low on Facebook or Twitter, following them on Pinterest, or subscribing to the blog. Deadline: February 28, 2013.
* * *
3. Here’s another fabulous giveaway: The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art is giving away a brand new copy of EXTRA YARN (Balzer + Bray, 2012) signed by both Mac Barnett (author) and Jon Klassen (illustrator)!! You probably know that this book was just awarded a Caldecott Silver Medal. For you lucky Amherst, MA area peeps, Mac and Jon will be talking about the book at the Carle this Sunday, February 10 at 1 p.m. But the rest of us can pre-order signed copies online now! (Thanks to Jeannine Atkins for sharing the link.)
* * *
4. Some of you may remember when award-winning author/illustrator Vanessa Brantley- Newton stopped by Alphabet Soup with author Liz Garton Scanlon to talk about their picture book THINK BIG (Bloomsbury, 2012). It’s not enough that Vanessa creates gloriously vibrant illustrations for books and greeting cards, makes beautiful dolls and who knows what else (!), and continually spreads sunshine and love wherever she goes — this. girl. can. sing! Seriously, who knew?
About a month or so ago, I learned Vanessa had entered the Mary Mary Singing Spotlight Competition (WEtv). Beginning in December, entrants sent in videos of themselves singing one of three Mary Mary songs (Vanessa sang “Sunday Morning”). The public then began voting for their favorites online (as often as once every 24 hours). After the public Voting Phase ends on February 14th, the 10 videos receiving the most votes will be judged in the Final Round by Mary Mary. The Grand Prize includes a trip to L.A. for a recording session!
Before you click over to the Mary Mary site to listen to Vanessa’s audition video and VOTE, check out this “reminder” video she posted on FB this week of her singing, “At Last”, avec mustache! Contestants are judged for their creativity, vocal talent and charm. See if you don’t agree that she is just too talented, and too CUTE. Love her!
Click on the following link to go to Vanessa’s FB page (the video is set for public viewing):
Then, go to the Mary Mary site and Vote vote vote from today through February 14th!! Remember, you can vote once per day. Let’s help Vanessa make it to the Finals!
* * *
5. Finally, it is my civic duty to point out that yesterday was World Nutella Day. Oh, you already knew that? I’m so impressed you have your chocolate and hazelnuts in order. I shouldn’t be too surprised. Some things are sacred, after all.
At last count, more than 700 Nutella recipes from all corners of the globe were listed at the site. This is, of course, a gold mine for those of us looking for just the right treat to make for Valentine’s Day. I admit it’s a tad overwhelming. What to make? Nutella Cheesecake? Nutella filled sandwich cookies? Nutella tarts? Nutella Lava Cake? Nutella mousse? Nutella truffles? Have mercy! Perhaps you’d rather just try to make your own Nutella?!
‘Tis the week to get naughty with Nutella. If you’re looking for a calorie-free experience, browse the Nutella flickr pool. But come on, wouldn’t you rather be naughty?
Shamelessly gratuitous Nutella photo:
Have a great Wednesday, Cutie Pies!!
Copyright © 2013 Jama Rattigan of Jama’s Alphabet Soup. All rights reserved.