Which of the following statements is true?
- Hispanics/Latinos are a single race who all look alike
- All Latinos in the United States are recent immigrants, most of whom are here illegally
- All Latinos speak Spanish and sound alike
- Hispanic immigrants aren’t interested in learning English
- Latinos are the largest and fastest growing minority group in the country and have lived in the territories now known as the United States for over four centuries.
If you guessed the last one, you’re correct, but did any of the other statements sound familiar? Chances are good you’ve encountered people who actually believe they’re true.
This wonderful celebration of the rich diversity and mixed cultural origins of the more than 50 million Latinos in the U.S. informs, enlightens, and helps to dispel many commonly-held misconceptions about who Latinos are and the nature of their vital, historic role in the fabric of our society.